Friday, August 2, 2013

Fur Babies After Baby


I have three dogs.  Three of the most spoiled, babied, practically human dogs.  I was (and still am) very into dog rescue and volunteering at my local animal shelter.  I will admit I haven't been at the shelter since I was pregnant because the smell of animal urine made me nauseous, I couldn't go.  My dogs were always my kids.  I had working mom guilt leaving them home alone all day.  I hated being gone long on the weekends because I knew they were cooped up all week and should have access to the outdoors all day on Saturdays and Sundays.  I sucked at crate training my most recent addition, Kooper, because I felt bad if she cried or whined.  I let her develop the worst habits EVER and I just dealt with it because, guilt?  I don't know.  I guess I'm just a big softie.  I always thought about the terrible situation Kooper came from and just felt so bad I didn't want her to suffer.

Throwing a baby into the mix definitely shook things up around here.  I wasn't prepared for it.  I wasn't prepared for how my feelings towards my dogs would change.  I still love them, please don't question that but I most definitely have zero patience for their shenanigans and each has their own annoying quirks magnified by three.  It's like a zoo here, most days.  Sometimes I do dream of a few days of just taking care of Weston and sleeping at night without the distraction of the dogs.  I do.  I will admit that.  The dogs aren't going anywhere, this is their permanent home but yeah, I definitely get frustrated with the constant barking and neediness when at the end of the day, I'm spent.  I've had a baby needing me all day and oh. my. gosh. I just want to sit on the couch for 45 minutes without someone needing something from me. I used to vilify people who dumped dogs at the shelter after having a baby but I can completely see and understand why that happens now.  I get it.  Doesn't mean I'd ever do it, though. And I don't think it's always right but I get how it happens. 

My dogs have gone through a huge adjustment too.  I noticed that Kooper has stopped sitting in my lap every time I sit down and I felt bad about that today.  I had a baby that would only sleep while being held so my lap has been occupied for 3 months.  I haven't taken their picture in months.  Before Weston my entire cell phone gallery was the dogs.  Fortunately they do get a lot of exercise, I'm out with them every day, I like them to be tired so they are less rambunctious.  Now that Wes is older and can be occupied for short periods of time I try to pet them and give them more attention than I have recently.  My husband still gives them tons of attention, which I appreciate.

I am nervous about how the dynamic will change again once Weston is mobile.  I know my GSD will be fine but the chihuahua mixes are very finicky.  So if you have any advice about a mobile baby and dogs, let me know what it is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment