Saturday, July 27, 2013

On the River


 

Today was Weston's first big outing and I was nervous, I didn't want to do it.  I take him to my mom's house every week and he's been to a few picnics at friend's houses nearby.  Obviously he goes to the grocery store, Target and various other places with me regularly during the week.  But this was different, we were going to a little sandbar on the Delaware River, only reachable by boat or jet ski.  I guess it's probably first time mom stress but I really hate being out with him and worrying about how I'm going to get him to nap.  He is a crappy nighttime sleeper so I really like to make sure he has good naps and he goes down so easily for naps for me at home.  I blast the white noise, lay him in his crib, hangout in case he drops his paci and he's usually out within 10 minutes.  I struggle with naps at my mom's house, he doesn't really like the PNP and it sucks.  So today, I had no idea what I was going to do when nap time came.  We decided to setup a tent and I'd bring his PNP mattress for him to lay on.  I got lucky and he fell asleep on the drive over and I sat in my car with him until he woke up, I think he slept for over an hour.  It worked perfectly because the people we were meeting weren't there yet and my husband was able to drive his jet ski to the sandbar to setup the tent and bring over all the crap I lugged along.  So after his nap he was wonderful, in a great mood!  It was lovely.  But then he started getting fussy and I realized it was nap time since he was awake for about 2 hours at that point.  I laid with him in the tent and he didn't go to sleep.  I tried and Ilmar tried for about an hour.  Now he has been awake for 3 hours and it was quickly going downhill and not fun for me (or Wes).  I grew tired of holding him and swaying (he's 15lbs! My poor arms) and he just wasn't settling down in the tent and was super fussy/unhappy.  Luckily I drove separate from my husband so I decided I wanted to leave and he could stay, I was happy I wouldn't have to wait for him to pull the jet ski out of the water, take down the tent...blah blah blah.  I knew Wes was going to pass out in his car seat and he did!  Immediately! He slept for over an hour again and I ended up sitting in my driveway for 20 or so minutes until he woke up.  I enjoyed the 2 hours I got to socialize with my friends, first time I've seen a lot of them this summer.  Days like this really drive home the fact that my whole life has changed.  I'm at home, just finished putting the baby to bed and everyone is drinking and enjoying the gorgeous weather on the water.  Luckily I'm so sleep deprived that I'm too tired to really care, but I do care.  The adjustment is huge, especially because we are the first in our group to have a baby.  I hope things get easier and we can do more next summer.  I also hope I am getting more sleep by next year! 
(Look at his chins.  Look at them.  Can you stand it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment