Thursday, July 25, 2013

Long Days

I read somewhere on the internet, in regards to child rearing, that the days are long but the years are fast.  I can see how that is true.  Today, for me, is a long one.  Weston slept from 7:30PM - 11:00PM (3:35 hours) woke up, nursed, and slept from 11:14PM - 2:06AM (2:52 hours) woke up, nursed and slept from 2:44AM - 3:36AM (51 freakin minutes) woke up, nursed and slept from 3:43AM - 5:04AM (1:21 hours) and was up for the day at 5:04AM.  Usually I put him in his Pack N Play (in our bedroom) at 5AM and he'll hangout and coo for 45 minutes or so and I try to sleep then I bring him back to bed and we sleep for another 45 minutes to an hour and get up for the day.  Not today.  Nope.  He was up at 5 and I tried twice to put him back down and he wasn't having it.  He was WIDE AWAKE.  I'm so exhausted.  I was sitting here, feeling sorry for myself and my broken, non sleeping baby when my sister posted something on facebook: 

If you are positive and speak positive; those words become your behaviors, behaviors become habits, habits become values and values become your destiny and who you will be. - Mahatma Gandhi

Boy, did I need to hear that today.  I think I'm drowning in a sea of negativity.  On top of not much sleep, Wes has been so fussy all day.  He doesn't want to be held.  Doesn't want to lay down.  Doesn't want to sit in his bouncy chair.  He just doesn't want to do anything and I don't know what to do with him.  I'm tired and I'm filled with exhaustion and negative WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME feelings. 

There has to be a positive in all of this right?  Yes.  My baby is healthy.  I'm healthy.  This stage (please let it be a stage, please let it be a stage) will pass.  If it doesn't pass, there are things I can do to hopefully improve it.  I'll get through this and maybe one day I can help another parent out who is going through this same stage and say: hang in there, it gets better.  Another positive: it CAN only get better from here.  I don't see how it could get much worse than 4 nightly wakings.  You know what?  I take that back.  I bet it could get worse and I really hope I don't experience it.  So...positive!  Today I am going to be positive.  Tonight when I go to bed I am going to try and be positive.  I am going to try and that's all I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment